World Foods (Barbur Location) - Kitchen Cook
9845 SW Barbur Blvd
Portland, OR 97219
Since 2004, locally owned World Foods has provided our community with the best selection of international foods, local favorites, fresh produce, meat and seafood, Lebanese specialties and those from the Pacific Northwest.
OUR CORE VALUES
WORKING FOR WORLD FOODS MEANS YOU WILL:
- Integrity: We do what’s right for our customers, each other, and our business.
- Hospitality: We take pride in providing our customers with a warm and hospitable environment.
- Commitment: We are committed to supporting one another and adapting to business needs.
- Good Food: Our love of food is what makes us excited to go to work every day.
HERE’S WHAT WE NEED FROM OUR COOKS:
- Have the option to enroll in affordable health, dental, and vision insurance.
- Be provided paid training for one-two weeks with a highly experienced sous chef at Ya Hala.
- Be compensated based on your professional knowledge and experience.
- Receive a 20% discount at both World Foods locations.
- Work an environment where our employees and life-long customers are dedicated to the success of the store.
- Experience what it is like to work in a dynamic and rewarding environment.
WHAT YOU WILL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR:
- Learn Quickly: You are able to learn new processes and procedures quickly and consistently apply learned knowledge.
- Adapt: Change is a necessary function of a growing business and you adapt your work and communication style to best fit new processes, procedures, and business needs.
- Be Precise: Your detail oriented approach allows you to accurately input, and find errors, in large bodies of information.
- Maintain Dependability: You come to work prepared, on-time and use work time appropriately.
- Work Proactively: Within the boundaries of your position, you do your best to meet business needs without being asked.
- Effectively Multi-Task: You are able to handle multiple requests, questions, and concerns simultaneously and naturally prioritize which item needs to be resolved first.
- Engender Customer Loyalty: You are aware of, and go out of your way to help, customers.
- Promote Teamwork: You are able to work with diverse groups of people and forge effective professional relationships with employees and management.
- Think Critically: When something doesn’t work, you are able to either fix the problem or find an effective and efficient work-around.
- Communicate Effectively: You are able to write, speak, and understand English.
The following capabilities are required in order to perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations that do not create an undue burden on the company are available to address the following requirements.
- Prepare and direct preparation of food served using established production procedures and systems.
- Store cooked food and ingredients in accordance with set guidelines, processes, and procedures.
- Handle food in a manner that is consistent with store procedures and food health/safety guidelines.
- Backup other kitchen personnel to ensure smooth kitchen operations.
- Complete all necessary check-lists, production, and shrink logs as directed.
- Prepare meals for the grab-and-go section, as well as the made-to-order department.
- Correctly prepare all food served following standard recipes.
- Determine amount and type of food and supplies required to meet customer demand.
- Sit and stand for prolonged periods of time.
- Use fine motor skills to grasp, move, and life items of up to 35 pounds without assistance.
- Bend, stoop, crawl, kneel, step up and down stairs, and climb
- Be able to recognize and respond to a variety of sounds.
- See at near and far distances.
- Must have Food Handlers card.
- Must be familiar with mixers and kitchen equipment including: deep fryers, ovens, and open grill cooking.
- Must have proficient knife skills.