William Temple House (Portland, OR) is seeking a full-time Social Services Assistant to assist with all the functions within our Food Pantry and supporting Social Services operations and personnel. The Social Services Assistant fosters an atmosphere of respect, empathy, and tranquility so that supplies can be distributed to clients without fear, shame, or a sense of obligation; advances William Temple House’s mission of restoring hope and strength to those in need and supports the efforts and aspirations of WTH staff and volunteers.
Founded 55 years ago, WTH is a beloved nonprofit organization that restores hope and renews strength in individuals and families in a welcoming and respectful atmosphere. With low- and no-cost mental health counseling, a food pantry, and faith-neutral spiritual care, we lend a helping hand to Portland’s most vulnerable populations. We serve the whole person—mind, body, and spirit. A social enterprise, our thrift store, provides revenue to support our operations.
Our organization is full of passionate people who do important work, appreciate each other, and have fun.
Review the complete job description
and find more information about WTH here: williamtemple.org/
- A Bachelor’s degree or 2 continuous years working in a social service agency or position that required you to work directly with houseless individuals, people with disabilities, and/or diverse populations.
- Strong communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills, and the ability to work with diverse populations and people experiencing systemic marginalization.
- Ability to support social service staff and volunteers of varying ages and abilities.
- Basic knowledge of available resources within the community.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and ethical standards at all times.
- Ability to safely operate a large delivery van.
- Basic proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, Salesforce and Google Drive.
- Must understand, embrace, and champion WTH values and policies, while always looking at ways to become more responsive to the community we serve.
- Pass criminal background check.
- Must have valid Oregon Driver’s License and clean driving record.
- Must be customer service-oriented within a nonprofit framework.
- Ability to lift 75 lbs.
: WTH offers faith-neutral spiritual care. Employees are not asked about religion, nor do they need to be religious.
Salary range is $16-$18 depending on experience, plus the following benefits:
If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application, interviewing, completing any pre-employment testing, or otherwise participating in the employee selection process, please direct your inquiries to
William Temple House is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from people of color, immigrants, LGBTQIA+ people, women, and people with disabilities. We believe we can only meet our mission with a diverse board and staff who actively pursue equity and work to create a culture of belonging.